Email is the lifeblood of many organizations, yet it is amazing how poorly so many people use email.
There are hundreds of etiquette books and guides out there and rules vary by industry, but here are some basics that apply across the board.
- Answer swiftly
- Be concise and to the point
- Use short sentences
- Use proper grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Don’t leave out the message thread
- Don’t write in CAPITALS
- Don’t overuse Reply to All
- Don’t overuse the high priority option
- Take care with abbreviations and emoticons
- Use cc: field sparingly
And lastly: Read and reread the email before you send it!